Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Reading England Challenge 2015

Reading challenges are something I love the idea of, but when I join them and try to put them into practice, I fall off the wagon so early on it's not even funny anymore. I either try to read too much, or I simply get distracted by another book or seven. This year, readers, this year will be different. This year is different. I have joined one challenge and am considering a couple more. I am holding myself to these challenges, because my word for the year is persevere. (Yes, I chose a word for the year, but I didn't blog about it yet. Oops.) All that being said, here is my intro post for the reading challenge I am most excited about this year, Reading England, from one of my favorite book blogs, Behold the Stars.

There are different levels to choose from, and the point is to read classics from England that are set in the different classic counties. No reading all books set in London, or Yorkshire, for example. I am starting with level one, which is to read 1-3 books, and hoping to advance to level two, which is to read 4-6 books. One of my friends and her mother are doing this challenge with me, so it'll be exciting to have discussions.


Level One:

1. Far From the Madding Crowd, by Thomas Hardy (Dorset)

2. Nicholas Nickelby, by Charles Dickens (Yorkshire)

3. Cranford, by Elizabeth Gaskell (Cheshire)


Level Two:

4. The Woman in White, by Wilkie Collins (Cumbria)

5. North and South, by Elizabeth Gaskell (Lancashire)

6. Lark Rise to Candleford, by Flora Thompson (Buckinghamshire)

2 comments: